About the Community We are an anonymous holiday exchange community for Harry Potter adult slash fan fiction and fan art. It works much like a Secret Santa exchange, with participants signing up to request a piece of art or fic, then creating a gift for another participant based on that person's request. The gifts are posted by the mods through the month of December and remain anonymous until all gifts have been posted.
How to Join At this time, all posts are unlocked and open to everyone, but you are free to join.
Rules for Participation:
* You must be 18 years of age or older to participate in this exchange.
* By signing up for hp_yule_balls you agree to create a gift of fiction or art for someone else. This is an exchange: If you drop out of the exchange, do not turn in a gift, or create a gift that does not match the request, you will not receive a gift in return.
* Due to the exchange nature of the fest, it is important that all participants have a good track record with regard to completing fest submissions. You are not eligible to sign up for this fest if in previous years you have a) dropped out of the fest after the amnesty period, b) dropped out of contact with the mods without submitting a gift, or c) submitted a gift that we could not post because it did match the request or fulfill posting requirements.
* Journals created within two months of the sign-up date will not be permitted to participate, nor will empty journals. If you have had your journal for fewer than two months and would really like to participate, please contact the mods directly. We will look at all requests on a case-by-case basis. Please note that each sign-up is at the mod's discretion.
* This is an anonymous fest, so please be discreet with the details of your assignment once you have received it. Do not post identifying details about the assignment on your personal journal, and keep sharing in private to a need-to-know basis (betas, brainstormers, etc). Do not repost the work itself until after reveals have gone up at hp_yule_balls. Additionally, please do not contact your giftee for any reason, even if their sign-up says that you may contact them with questions about their preferences. If they do not have a friend listed, direct all questions to the mod.
* Please understand the problems associated with dropping out of a fest. Not only do we need to find a pinch hitter for your giftee, but the gift you requested will be orphaned and the person who created it might feel as though their hard work was wasted. Please consider this before signing up for the fest and do not commit to a project you may be unable to complete.
However, if for any reason you are not able to complete your assignment, please tell the mod as soon as possible. We understand that unforeseen circumstances sometimes arise, and we would much rather know up front. Advance warning allows us to make arrangements so your recipient will still receive a gift. Please keep in contact with us if you run into unexpected delays or problems with your fic, also. We can find you a beta or someone to brainstorm with if you are stuck. We can help you ourselves if you need us to. Email all questions or concerns to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will reply as quickly as possible.
* There will be a mandatory check-in point halfway through the fest. An email will be sent out during the week of October 18th-24th. If you do not reply to the email within 5 days, you will be dropped from the fest.
Rules for Gift Submissions
* All submitted fic and art must be rated R or higher for sexual content. For the purposes of this community, the minimum R rating is defined as having one or more of the following: - For art: nudity from the waist down; heavily implied sexual activity. - For fic: heavily implied sexual activity.
Fic and art that does not meet the rating requirement will be returned. Please do not sign up for this fest if you are not comfortable creating or receiving a gift with sexual activity.
* All fic and art must include a slash or femslash relationship. Het pairings are fine, on the side. Threesomes and orgies are also appropriate.
* All characters present during the sexual activity (including characters not actively engaged in the sex, i.e. voyeurs, etc.) in the fics and artwork must be 16 or older. There are no exceptions to this rule. All headings must have disclaimers to this effect. Mentions of past sexual activity are acceptable as long as they are not explicit.
* Warnings are required for all potentially triggering content, including but not limited to rape/non-con, incest, abuse, and self-harm. Other content warnings are at your discretion.
* This community does not tolerate homophobic, racist, sexist, ableist, transphobic, or otherwise prejudiced ideals. Submissions endorsing these values will be rejected, and members who promote these values in comments may be banned without warning. If you touch upon these issues in your submission, please use appropriate warnings.
* Fics must have a minimum of 1000 words; there is no maximum. Artwork should be at least 400x400 pixels and unsigned. The work must be original and not previously posted outside hp_yule_balls, and should not be part of or based on a previously posted piece of work. All gifts should reflect the time and effort that the creator put into creating it.
* All fics must be beta read before submission. The moderators, with the help of a small intake team, will read over every fic submitted. They will be checking that the fic adheres to the request; that the heading has been filled out completely, with appropriate warnings; and for overall readability. Moderators reserve the right to return gifts that fail to meet the request of the recipient or do not meet standards for rating, length, or quality. (We don't expect artistic or literary genius, but your piece should reflect time, thought, and effort.) If we feel that your fic has not been properly betaed (i.e. there are multiple typos, grammar issues, et al.) then we will return your fic to you to be re-betaed. Likewise, any fic or art that does not adhere to the recipient's kinks and squicks lists will be returned to be fixed.
* Submissions must be sent to email@example.com by the submission deadline. No revisions will be permitted after submission, except at the mod's discretion. If you have not completed your gift by this date, please contact the mod as soon as possible. Extensions may be available, but will be granted at the mod's discretion.
Rules For General Participation
* When reading and commenting, please avoid rudeness, insensitivity, and prejudice. We want this fest to be a positive experience for all involved, and inappropriate behavior will not be tolerated. This is a multi-pairing slash and femslash smut community, so use common sense. You are not required to read anything that might squick you; if you do anyway and leave negative comments/flames, you will be banned.
* All fics and art must remain anonymous until the end of the exchange when artist and writer identities are revealed. If you guess in advance – because let's face it, sometimes it's obvious – please refrain from saying so outright in comments. If you do, your comment will be deleted or screened until reveals. Please do not discuss identifying details about your submission on your personal journal.
* Do not cross-post your submission until after the reveal.
Fest Schedule August 30th: Sign-ups begin September 6th: Sign-ups close
Assignments will be sent out within two weeks of sign-ups closing.
November 16th: Submissions are due for all participants December 1st: Posting begins December 29th: Posting ends January 10th: Reveals go up